Tuesday, March 8, 2011

We're not Jimmy Choo

Next would come somebody who makes patterns, and the "clicking" (the cutting out of the leather) and "closing" (sewing the leather together). I was mainly trained as a "closer" but I do every aspect except the lastmaking myself. I take measurements and photos of my client's feet sitting and standing, and I describe the style of shoe I want to make to the lastmaker. I develop the style of shoe and select the material with the client, which for me is what "bespoke" means. I believe what I do is truly bespoke.
We're not Jimmy Choo; we make comfort shoes. The business was founded 150 years ago in 1857 and my father bought it in 1952. His father had a shoe shop in Germany. If my father hadn't bought the freehold of this building we would have been long gone. I tried to escape into forestry but there weren't any jobs and in 1970 I came back into the family firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment